Secondary School Placements – High School Placements
Who is this Language Programme for?
School stays are suitable for ambitious and highly motivated students who wish to attend a Secondary School in Ireland for one term or a full year. Students must be aged between 14 and 17 and have a minimum English language level of B1 (Independent User). Parents can be assured that they are sending their teenage children to a caring environment.
Benefits of Secondary School Stays in an English speaking country
Attending a secondary school in an English speaking country has become an important aspect of the education path for many European students. Having spend a school term or longer abroad will stand out on any application for a job or for further studies. It will widen the young person’s employment opportunities.
The Cambridge English: First (FCE) Exam
Students may take part in FCE Exam Preparation Classes at The Slaney Language Centre and if they wish to do so, take the FCE exam here in Ireland.
The Irish School System
Years 1 to 3:
Junior Cycle (starting at age 12) culminating with the Junior Certificate. Subjects include Math, English, Science, a Language, Business Studies and Irish. International students are exempt from Irish.
Transition Year (average age: 15/16). This year is the most popular year for visiting international students. Transition year provides traditional subjects and also allows for the exploration of many other subject areas along with outside projects and cultural experience.
Years 5 to 6:
Senior Cycle (average age: 16/17/18). This cycle culminates with the Leaving Certificate. These two years have greater emphasis on individual research abilities, study skills and a more analytical approach to subject matters. The Leaving Certificate standard is equivalent to the UK A-level examination.
Our host families are visited by our own staff and treat their students as if they would their own family member. We do our utmost to match each student with the most suitable host family. Homestay accommodation includes breakfasts, packed lunches and evening dinners. On weekends the student has all meals with the family.
Included in the Programme
- First Arrival and Final Departure Airport Transfers
- Airport transfers for Christmas Holidays for Full Year students
- Guardianship Services
- Local orientation
- Full Board Host Family Accommodation (including Easter holidays)
- School Registration
- Use of all School Uniform items that include a school logo (to be returned at the end of the stay)
- 24 Hour Emergency Number
- Support Classes every two weeks
- Saturday Day-trips every 5 weeks
- School Fees (vary in each school)
- Items of clothes without a school logo
- Expenses for school tours and excursions (vary in each school)
- School Books and School Rentals (vary in each school)
- Cambridge English: First (FCE) Exam Preparation Evening Classes
One Term: End of August to December
Two Terms: On request
Full Academic Year: End of August to End of May
- Min B1 Level of English
- Academic Reports (two academic transcripts)
- Reference from the student’s school principal
Please note that ACELS does not recognise school placements and ELT courses of less than 15 hours per week.